15 Jun Keep Your Office Safe During COVID-19
In a matter of months, COVID-19 tremendously affected the way we live and work. Things are starting to get back to normal, but we still need to be sure our places of work of clean. Many organizations have facilitated moving their employees to remote work. However, some companies need their employees on-premise in order to perform their jobs well. Here is how to keep your office safe during COVID-19.
Cleaning Guidance from the CDC
The Centers for Disease Control has provided detailed recommendations on how to clean and disinfect workspaces and common areas in the office.
Here is an overview of these instructions:
- Use disposable gloves and masks when cleaning and disinfecting, and immediately throw them away after disinfection.
- Always clean prior to disinfecting with soap and water to remove particles on surfaces. This will reduce the viral load, making disinfection more effective.
- While the CDC has also provided a list of EPA-approved disinfectants, a solution of bleach and water with the following ratios is also effective.
- 5 tablespoons per gallon of water for floors and other large surfaces
- 4 teaspoons per quart of water for spray bottle application on smaller surfaces
- When using disinfecting wipes, clean only one object at a time and use enough wipes to keep the surface wet for 4 minutes.
- Clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces in common areas several times daily, including chairs, tables, light switches, doorknobs, keypads, phone receivers, handles, remotes, touchscreens, desks, sinks, and toilets.
- Clean and disinfect shared equipment and electronics, touchscreen kiosks, and digital signage several times daily.
* Remember to never mix cleaning or disinfecting solutions together.
Communication and Signage
Communication is one of the best defenses against both the physical and emotional aspects of dealing with COVID-19. It’s important that employees feel supported and reassured while going through personal challenges and emotions due to coronavirus.
- Provide clear and concise updates relevant to your industry, location, and work culture.
- Always communicate in a calm and timely manner.
- Offer channels for two-way communication and support, so that employees can reach out about their needs and concerns.
- When possible, make accommodations for employees’ specific needs.
- Provide signage throughout the office to keep all staff mindful of everyone’s safety that includes:
- Cleaning recommendations
- Good respiratory hygiene
- Symptom checks
- Social distancing
* To make this more convenient for employers, the CDC has produced printable signage relevant to community settings.
Tanglewood West is located in Roanoke, VA, and is deeply concerned about your health and safety during COVID-19, as well as how it may be affecting you personally. Please contact us with any special needs you may have and any questions you have in regards to how to keep your office safe during COVID-19 and we will do our best to accommodate them.